De Berti, Raffaele Update data
- Al termine delle lezioni o previo appuntamento concordato via e-mail
Stabile principale, Office 228 (Level 2)
Via Buffi 13, 6904 Lugano
Stabile via Lambertenghi, Office 305 (Level 3)
Via Lambertenghi 10A, 6904 Lugano
- Lecturer - Faculty of Communication Sciences
- Professore Associato Confermato, Università degli studi di Milano
Raffaele De Berti was born in Milan on the 17th of August 1955 and is Associate Professor since the Academic year 2001-2002 for the disciplinary section Cinema, Fotography and Television at the Università degli Studi in Milan, where he holds in tenure the courses History and Criticism of Film and Documentary Cinematography. January 2014 he obtained the national scientific habilitation of full professor. Member of the doctoral commission in 'Science del patrimonio letterario, artistico e ambientale' of the same university. Since 2007 he teaches at the USI, Lugano, as a lecturer. Between 1989 and 2001 he has taught as a lecturer at the Università Cattolica (campus Brescia and Milan).
Raffaele De Berti's research activity has focused recently, on the one hand, on the history of Italian film from the beginning of the 20th century till the Fifties, with particular attention for film criticism, for the study of paratexts in the broad meaning of the term (photonovels, posters, feature articles on film, illustrated magazines), for interventions on cinema by intellectuals, for cinema rubrics in journals for literature and other arts; on the other hand his research has concentrated of the cinematographic production of specific authors, such as Federico Fellini, and on the actor as a 'divo', with the cases of Rodolfo Valentino and Isa Miranda. Furthermore, his research has covered the relationships between cinema and other media, between Hollywood and Italian cinema of the same period, with particular attention to the function of cinema in relation to the "invention of Italian identity". Ultimately, his research has extended to the relationship between cinema and photography from the Twenties to the Fifties in Italy and Europe.
Besides numerous articles that have appeared in journals and volumes, he has published the monographs Il volo del cinema. Miti moderni nell’Italia fascista ( Mimesis, 2012) and Dallo schermo alla carta (Vita e Pensiero, 2000); he has contributed to the History of Italian Cinema by the Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia (Marsilio, 2003-2006); he has edited several issues of the journal
"Comunicazioni sociali", a monographic issue of Bianco & Nero dedicated to La novellizzazione in Italia. Cartoline, fumetto, romanzo, rotocalco, radio, televisione (2004), and numerous volumes: amongst others, Un secolo di cinema a Milano (Il Castoro, 1996), Luci del varietà (co-edited with L. Boledi, Il Castoro, 1999), La fabbrica dell’animazione. Bruno Bozzetto nell’industria culturale italiana (co-edited with G. Bendazzi, Il Castoro, 2003), Federico Fellini. Analisi di film: possibili letture (Mc Graw-Hill, 2006), Figure della modernità nel cinema italiano (1900-1940) (co-edited with M. Locatelli, ETS, 2008), Fellini-Satyricon. L’immaginario dell’antico (co-edited with Elisabetta Gagetti and Fabrizio Slavazzi, Cisalpino, 2009) and Forme e modelli del rotocalco italiano tra fascismo e guerra (co-edited Irene Piazzoni, Cisalpino, 2009).
- Member of the Board of governors of the Fondazione Cineteca Italiana, Milan.
- participation, as a member of the unit of the University of Milan, in the research project PRIN 2008: “La moltiplicazione dell’arte e le sue immagini. La cultura visiva in Italia nell’epoca della riproducibilità tecnica: dalle riviste illustrate del secondo ‘800 ai rotocalchi e quotidiani della contemporaneità”;
- he has contributed (2002/2003) to the research program COFIN-MIUR dedicated to “Le tecnologie del cinema. Le tecnologie nel cinema”, as revisor of the fact files for the data-base on articles in Italian cinema magazines;
- since 2012, member of the scientific committee of the collection "Cinema" for the publishing house Mimesis (Milan-Udine);
- member of the editorial committee of the journals “La Valle dell’Eden” (University of Turin) and “Immagine” (Associazione italiana per le ricerche di storia del cinema);
- member of the scientific committee of the journal “Comunicazioni Sociali” published by Vita e Pensiero (Università Cattolica) from 1995 till 2005;
- member of the selection committee of the exhibition “Docucity. Documentare la città “dal 2009 (Università degli Studi of Milan).