PhD Skills in Philosophy
The aim of this professionalization course is to train students in the skills required to be accepted into a PhD programme in Philosophy.
The sessions of the Autumn Semester will be devoted to:
- How to orient in the philosophical world. From finding sources and news to how to submit a paper to an academic journal.
- How to read a philosophical paper.
- How to exercise your philosophical writing.
- How to write a philosophical paper.
- How to prepare and run a presentation, and some other conference skills.
- How to use LaTeX and Beamer.
The sessions of the Spring Semester will be devoted to:
- Why do a PhD in Philosophy?
- How to prepare a PhD application.
- How to apply and find funding for a PhD in different countries.
- How to write a personal/academic statement.
- How to write a research proposal.
- How to write a writing sample.
Many professors of the MAP will contribute to this course.
The final evaluation is based on a mock dossier for a PhD application. More information available on ICorsi.