Managing Interpersonal Dynamics at Work
Attendance is required for at least 80% of classes
At the end of this course students will be able to:
• Understand and value diversity (theirs and the one of others) within the work context, in terms of personality types, motivational drivers, learning styles, etc.
• Detect cognitive biases affecting the way they interact with people.
• Manage the conditions that drive effective “teaming” and team performance
• Discover and leverage on individual strengths and understand where to improve in the interactions with others, taking charge of their professional development
• Be open to feedback, as a tool for individual and team learning, and practice how to receive and give it
• Use coaching skills to support individual and team learning
During the course we discuss the following topics:
• Surface vs deep level diversity as a key ingredient in the workplace: e.g. age/generations, background vs personality, motivational drivers.
• Personality types, motivational drivers, learning styles and team habits: discover yours and assess your strengths
• Cognitive biases and how to manage them
• The team life cycle and how to measure team performance
• Team dysfunctions and dynamics and how to manage them
• Feedback as a tool for individual and team learning: value, content and process
• Coaching skills to interact with others
The course is highly experiential as well as based on theoretical insights. We will use self-assessment exercises, role-plays, case study and simulations, individual and group-based action plans. We aim at providing a toolbox for effective interpersonal dynamics in the workplace.
Evaluation procedures and Grading criteria
The course evaluation is pass or fail and it is based on a mix of individual (40%) and group (60%) assignments predominantly done in class.
The language of the assignments is English.
Slides and all the materials that will distributed and used in class (exercises, cases and self assessments)
Optional readings will be provided at the end of each class.
Master of Science in Communication and Economics in Marketing and Transformative Economy, Core course, 2nd year