Search for contacts, projects,
courses and publications

International Relations and Study-abroad Office


The Università della Svizzera italiana, through its International Relations and Study-abroad Office, offers its students and others coming from Switzerland and abroad the following possibilities:

  • The Swiss mobility programme
    This programme provides an opportunity for USI students who wish to spend one or two semesters studying in another Swiss university and for students of other Swiss universities who wish to study in Lugano.
  • The Swiss-European mobility programme - SEMP (former Erasmus)
    SEMP students from USI may spend one or two semesters studying in one of the European partner universities, with full validation of (ECTS) credits obtained from course work and successful examinations results. Similarly, SEMP incoming students may spend one or two semesters at USI. So far, USI has signed more than 60 exchange agreements with European universities.
  • The International exchange programme
    Gives the possibility to USI students to spend one semester studying in one of the International partner universities with which a bilateral agreement has been signed and to students coming from the partner universities to study at USI. USI has 6 international bilateral exchange agreements.
  • Other programmes: Eurocampus, Visiting students

In addition to coordinating these programmes, the International Office cooperates with counterparts in similar services and central academic offices: Rectors' Conference of the Swiss Universities; National Agency; State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation. The Office is also responsible for procuring Erasmus studentships and other funding sources for study-abroad programmes.

The task of the International Relations office is to advise and select outgoing students as well as to accept, assist and welcome incoming (exchange and visiting) students. Therefore, students planning to take part in these programmes should address their enquiries directly to the service. The International Relations Office will then put in place the appropriate administrative procedure, and provide information and advice on various practical matters (e.g. residence permit, insurance, housing, etc.).