Victor Stoichita was born on June 13, 1949, in Bucharest (Romania). He studied at the University of Bucharest, 1967 - 1968; at the University of Rome, 1968 - 1973 (Tesi di Laurea di Dottore in lettere); at the University of Paris I, (Doctorat d´état ès Lettres, 1989). He is Professor for Art history at the University of Fribourg (Switzerland), Département d´histoire de l´art et de musicologie. He has been a visiting professor, among others at the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales in Paris, at the Scuola di Studi Umanistici in Bologna and at Harvard University. He teaches History of forms within the Master in Italian language, literature and civilisation of Lugano University.
- The Pygmalion Effect, Chicago, University of Chicago Press, 2008; (translated in many languages).
- Ver y no ver, Madrid, Siruela, 2005, (translated in many languages).
- Goya. The Last Carnival (with Anna Maria Coderch), London, Reaktion Books, 1999; (translated in many languages).
- A Short History of the Shadow, London, Reaktion Books, 1997; (translated in many languages).
- Visionary Experience in the Golden Age of Spanish Art, London, Reaktion Books, 1995; (translated in many languages).
- L´instauration du tableau. Métapeinture à l´aube des Temps Modernes, Paris, (ed.) Méridiens-Kliencksieck, 1993; (translated in many languages).