The communication environment has become characterised by an explosion in alternative media and other technology-based channels and techniques for targeting consumers. Firms have experienced increasing scepticism regarding the effectiveness of traditional mass media advertising. Top management increasingly demands accountability concerning the effectiveness and efficiency of marketing communication expenditures. Simplistically defined as "speaking with one voice" in all marketing communications and media, the IMC concept recognises the environmental changes of market demassification and media fragmentation. IMC focuses on the use of the traditional marketing communication tools of advertising, personal selling, public relations, sales promotion, and direct marketing together with new media in a way that promotes both synergy and a continuing dialogue with the consumer as an individual.
Belch, George E. and Michael A. Belch, Advertising and Promotion, New York, McGraw Hill-Irwin (the last edition)
This will consist of both an assignment and an examination. The assignment will include a report and presentation and will carry a weighting of 30%. In addition students will need to sit for a final examination that will account for the remaining 70% of the mark.