This course aims to form students’ knowledge in the area of International Business. Specifically students will develop capabilities to identify, frame and understand problems related to the management of international operations. Throughout the course issues are discussed in both theoretical and practical terms to stimulate students to relate models and concepts with practical situations.
By the end of the course the students will be able to:
Today firms are increasingly facing challenging tasks at international level: On one side the environment is increasingly globalized, following the disintegration of regional markets, the expansion of international trade and the internet, and on the other firms keep growing in their geographical and business scope fuelling competition. Therefore, the international manager is required to be flexible, to have a broad understanding of what is changing in the environment and within the firm, to develop always new abilities and to fit into new roles. This course deals specifically with the following topics:
Throughout the course students will be encouraged to adopt different perspectives to nurture critical thinking and to form an overarching understanding of the phenomenon studied.
The course is taught in English and it is structured in series of lectures, case-study sessions and discussions. Teamwork is required during the in-class discussions. The goal is to generate learning throughout interactive sessions, group work and individual assessment.
"Hill, Charles W. L.: Global Business Today (6th ed.): - Boston, Mass.: McGraw-Hill/Irwin, cop. 2011"
"The grading is based 30% on the students’ performance during the course, i.e. in-class activities. The other 70% is based on the final written exam."