The rise of format programming has had an enormous impact on the media in the past few decades. Since the 1990s, formats have come to dominate TV schedules and have become symbolic of the way the media are changing in the face of the digital revolution. Formats have been developed as global businesses in the cut-throat environment of international media sales. Formats include game shows, factual entertainment programmes and drama. This course will provide a comprehensive introduction to the rise of TV formats from the 1950s until the present day and will also examine current trends in television-making especially with the advent of the internet and growth in digital channels. The course will examine the range of issues related to formats at pre-production, production and post-production stages. We examine especially how the television industry is adapting to the digital era and the key role of TV formats in that economic and social development. The course will consist of seven combined lectures and seminars.
Chalaby,. J. K. (2015) The Format Age: Television's Entertainment Revolution. Cambridge: Polity Press
Lotz., A.D (2014) (2nd Edition) The Television Will Be Revolutionized. New York: New York University Press
- Aveyard, K., Moran, A., and Maibritt, P. (2016) New Patterns in Global Television Formats. Bristol: Intellect
- Bazalgette, P. (2005) Billion Dollar Game: How 3 Men Risked it All and Changed the Face of TV. London: Little Brown.
- Battocchio, F. (2003) La produzione televisiva. Roma: Carocci
- Buonanno, M. (2006) L’età della televisione. Bari: Laterza
- Casetti, F, Di Chio, F. (1998) Analisi della televisione. Milano: Bompiani
- Colombo, F. (ed.) (2004) Tv and Interactivity in Europe. Mythologies, Theoretical Perspectives, Real Experiences, Milano: Vita & Pensiero
- Colombo, F., Vittadini, N. (eds.) Digitising Tv. Theoretical Issues and Comparative Studies across Europe. Milano: Vita & Pensiero
- Creeber. G.(2015) The Television Genre Book. London: BFI
- De Blasio, E., Gili, G., Hibberd, M., Sorice, M. (2007) La ricerca sull’audience. Milano: Hoepli
- Demattè, C., Perretti, F. (2002) L’impresa televisiva. Principi economici e variabili strategiche. Milano: Etas
- Litten, D. (1997) Der Schutz von Fernsehshow und Fernehserienformaten. in AA.VV., Format Protection in Germany, France and Great Britain. Colonia: FRAPA
- Holland, P. (1997) The Television Handbook. London: Routledge
- Menduni, E., Catolfi, A. (2002) Le professioni del video. Roma: Carocci
- Moran, A. (1998) Copycat Television. Globalisation, Program Formats and Cultural Identity. Luton: University of Luton Press
- Taggi, P. (2003) Manuale della televisione. Roma: Editori Riuniti
- Alan Wolk (2015) Over The Top: How The Internet Is (Slowly But Surely) Changing The Television Industry. Create Space.