This course aims to take students from a B2 level of English to B2+, working with authentic materials to develop students’ autonomous language learning skills as well as their actual language skills. A wide range of different text types and language varieties are used to consolidate strategies for improving the four language skills, voca-bulary and grammar. Students will be encouraged to follow up their own interests in English, starting from themes connected with globalisation, technology, cultural integration and the role of tradition.
Materials will be provided by the instructor during the course. They will generally be of topical relevance in addition to addressing the themes of the course, and will serve to illustrate the range of ways in which the English language is currently being used worldwide.
For each of the skills, an initial encounter with the difficulties of various authentic materials will lead on to a systematic development of students’ autonomous ability to continue to improve their knowledge and use of the language.
80% of the grade comes from a final written and oral exam at the B2+ level. The exam will be similar to the first year B2 exam, but will be based on authentic materials rather than texts and recordings designed for language learners. The other 20% of the grade will be awarded for coursework, including written assignments and a presentation to the class at the end of the semester.
Students may be exempted from this course, and obtain the credits (with a passing grade of 6), if they can demonstrate a B2+ level of English in one of these ways:
- IELTS 6.5 or above
- Cambridge First (FCE) Grade B or A,
- CAE or CPE
- 75% or above in the first year (lettorato) English exam.
Bachelor of Science in Scienze della comunicazione, Corso di base, Corso di lingua, 2° anno