Strategies in Screen Industries
At the end of the course students will have:
- an in-depth knowledge about the economic principles that govern screen industries and the main market trends;
- the ability to identify the political and socio-cultural factors that influence screen industries’ business in different geographic areas.
The course investigates screen industries and their evolution in the last few decades. In particular, it focuses on:
a) the strategies adopted by public and private companies;
b) the policies introduced by supra-national institutions and organizations (European Union, WTO, etc.), as well as by national governments and local/regional public administrations;
c) screen industries’ market performances.
The course is composed of two parts:
- the first one is focused on the screen industries, mainly on their strategies (integration, internationalization, diversification, etc.) and business models in the main European countries and in Switzerland. New forms of digital television (as web TV and mobile TV) videogames and books evolution (as audiobooks) are analyzed.
- The second one takes the film industry as case study and investigates how films are financed, produced, promoted and released in different geographic area. Particular attention will be paid to film policy and public film financing that regulate and support film business in Europe.
The course will be structured in lectures led by the two teachers. Sessions will be accompanied with power point presentations and video clips.
Students’ class attendance is not mandatory, even if strongly encouraged. Teachers will not provide alternative teaching materials for non-attending students.
The final grade will be composed of the results achieved by students in:
• presentation of a case study analysis (30% of the final evaluation)
• oral exam (70% on the final evaluation)
Students are expected to study their personal notes, the slides projected by the lecturers and some key-papers. Slides and papers will be uploaded by the lecturers on the iCorsi platform.