The aim of this course is to explain the principles involved in designing and evaluation of the management and cost accounting systems. It explains how management accounting systems accumulate, classify, summarize and report information that will assist employees within an organization in their decision-making, planning, control and performance measurement activities.
The course reviews the following main issues:
- Introduction to management accounting
- Basic cost management concepts
- Cost assignment
- Cost of goods sold and inventories cost allocation
- Cost-volume-profit analysis
- Financial planning and analysis: The budgeting process.
The teaching methods include formal lectures and practical exercises. The lectures will provide the theoretical foundations and the main concepts of accounting that will be applied to case discussions and exercises.
Attendance is highly recommended.
Students will be evaluated based on:
- homework presentation (30%)
- closed books written exam (70%).
Lecture notes will be available on the course website on iCorsi.
Lecture notes are based on the following textbook (recommended):
- Colin Drury: Management and Cost Accounting, 10th edition, Cengage
Master of Science in Communication and Economics in Marketing and Transformative Economy, Corso a scelta, Thematic Area: Organisation and Human Resource Management, 2° anno
Master of Science in Communication in Media Management, Corso a scelta, Thematic Area: Organisation and Human Resource Management, 2° anno
Master of Science in Economics in Management, Corso di base, 1° anno
Master of Science in Management and Informatics, Corso di base, Informatics track, 1° anno