Channel Management and Retailing
Channel management includes all activities that are involved in getting an offering from an organization to end-users. It can pose challenges for organizations and requires them to develop, design, maintain, and manage effective distribution structures to achieve sustainable competitive advantages. The course discusses concepts, frameworks and approaches to analyse the needs of upstream and downstream members of distribution channels and design distribution strategies and structures. It also looks at the management of channel relationships and how organizations can establish and strengthen the ties with their distribution partners. A special emphasis will be put on retailers as intermediaries. The course discusses different retail formats and illuminates the point-of-sale level of retailing. It looks at how retail experiences can be created and outlines elements of retail environment management.
Having successfully completed the course, students should be able to:
- understand the role of channel management in generating competitive advantages,
- describe and analyse distribution channels and their functions,
- develop channel strategies and approaches to establish and strengthen channel relationships
- recognize the role of retailers in channel management
- understand, analyse and configure retail environments and experiences.
Modalità di insegnamento
The course will be delivered in interactive lecture sessions including in-class group work.
The course assessment has two components and includes an exam (60% weighting) and in-class work (40% weighting). The exam will have the form of a one-hour, closed-book written examination. In-class work includes the solution of case studies in groups and the presentation of the results. The language for both assessment components is English.
- Levy, Michael, Weitz, Barton, Grewal, Dhruv. Retailing Management. 11th edition. McGraw-Hill, 2022.
- Palmatier, Robert W., Sivadas, Eugene, Stern, Louis W., El-Ansary, Adel I.. Marketing Channel Strategy: An Omni-Channel Approach. 9th edition. Routledge, 2019.
- Master of Science in Communication and Economics in Corporate Communication, Lezione, Thematic Area: Customer Experience and Value, A scelta, 2° anno
- Master of Science in Communication and Economics in Marketing and Transformative Economy, Lezione, Thematic Area: Customer Experience and Value, A scelta, 2° anno
- Master of Science in Communication in Media Management, Lezione, Thematic Area: Customer Experience and Value, A scelta, 2° anno