Why do so many projects fail? Why do so many others fail to produce lasting results? Why do so many projects suffer from cost and time overruns? How can firms identify and design high-leverage policies to improve project performance? In this course, we will cover three important aspects of project management:
- The theory, methods, and quantitative tools used to effectively plan, organize, and control projects;
- Techniques for managing projects more effectively revealed through practice and research; and
- Hands-on, practical project management knowledge from optimization and simulation exercises.
This course introduces students to the basic principles, methods, and tools for managing projects in realistic contexts, allowing them to improve their ability to manage complex projects. Course objectives include to:
- Understand the theory underlying the methods and tools of project management (WBS, CPM, LP, DSM, PERT, EVM, RM, SD)
- Be able to apply Project Management methods and tools in practice, understanding their limitations; and
- Learn from each other through class discussions and small group assignments.
Obiettivi di sviluppo sostenibile
- Industria, innovazione e infrastrutture
Modalità di insegnamento
Class sessions combine lectures, interactive exercises, group presentations, and discussions. The diversity of approaches seeks to enhance students’ technical, decision-making, problem-solving, and practical skills. To achieve these goals in an effective way, it is important to engage in and prepare for discussion, participate actively during class discussions, and review readings and assignments for their applicability toconcepts covered in class
We recommend class attendance to be at least 75% of classes.
Assignments: 50% (5 highest grades out of 6 assignments – 10% each)
Final exam: 50%