This class examines how culture and cultural differences shape interpersonal, intergroup, and mediated
communication. Lectures present foundational concepts and theoretical ideas about cultural differences and intergroup
relations. Readings extend and illustrate concepts with case studies of intercultural interactions in different cultural
settings. We will discuss the readings in class which means that you will need to read them and come prepared to ask
questions and make comments. Lectures and discussions will focus on issues that are currently debated in many places
and often spark intense disagreement or controversy. It is my hope that we can look at these issues from different
angles to understand why groups and individuals disagree about their meaning or how to resolve them. Students will
be challenged to think outside dominant norms and disagree in the spirit of critical exploration.
The focus of this class is on intercultural interactions. We will not examine how different cultures communicate or
their cultural practices, but instead focus on common issues and problems in communication between individuals and
groups from different cultural backgrounds.
- understanding the dynamic and multifaceted character of culture and cultural processes,
- proficiency in understanding and application of key concepts of identity and belonging, difference, stereotypes,
prejudice, race, nation;
- ability to decode current inter/cultural debates;
- ability to recognize and deconstruct exclusion and power relations among groups;
Modalità di insegnamento
Lectures, readings, discussions, written assignments, exam
The exam (70%) consists of T/F, single choice and short answer questions.
- Bachelor in Comunicazione, Lezione, specializzazione comune, 3° anno
- Bachelor in Comunicazione, Lezione, 3° anno
- Bachelor in Comunicazione, Lezione, strutturato ICSE, 3° anno
- Bachelor in Comunicazione, Lezione, strutturato VT, 3° anno
- Bachelor of Arts in Scienze economiche, Lezione, Corso a scelta 3° anno, A scelta, 3° anno