The course consists of six lectures:
- Principles of teaching and learning / Academic teaching
- Fundamentals of Instructional Design
- Classroom management
- ICT in teaching
- Lectures by participants, feedback by instructors and peers, debriefing
External teachers might be invited for specific classes.
Goal of this course is to provide PhD students and teaching assistants of USI with a basic training on Teaching and Learning at the Bachelor and Master levels. That competence will integrate their competences in research, with a significant benefit for their future academic career.
At the end of the course participants will:
- know basic notions of pedagogy and didactics and their implications for the teaching practice;
- be able to consistently design teaching activities with a proper selection of teaching strategies;
- be able to effectively run teaching activities, using the appropriate tools and managing students in the classroom;
- be able to design and run effective evaluations of teaching activities;
- be more aware of the most important learning/teaching dynamics.
Modalità di insegnamento
The workload for participants will be 32 hours (plus further hours of reflection/reading time):
- 28 hours of classes;
- 4 hours of individual work for the preparation of the final lecture and of the report.
The course is designed around practical activities, such as presentations of case studies, design of instructional materials, evaluation activities, and so on.
Participants will be required to:
- attend at least 80% of the classes;
- prepare a lecture about a topic they feel confident with, which they will teach during the last class;
- after the final class, write a short report about the instructional (re-)design process they have adopted for the preparation of the lecture.