Information Management and Retrieval
Information Management and Retrieval (IM&R) concerns production, acquisition, storage, protection, manipulation, distribution, and retrieval of relevant data with a variety of means and devices, mostly exploiting digital technology. This course is directed to people who are (or will be) involved in those activities supported by digital technologies.
The course builds on:
- Foundations of information management in the Web: markup languages such as HTML, server side generated web pages, HTTP cookies, and Content Management Systems.
- Foundations of information retrieval: structured and unstructured data, information retrieval techniques, search engines, knowledge representation for the Web, and artificial intelligence techniques.
The course aims to:
- Enable students to develop the ability to understand, evaluate, and compare different Information Management and Retrieval approaches and tools;
- Make students aware of opportunities and threats concerning Information Management and Retrieval techniques;
- Train students to think critically about today's use of Information Management and Retrieval techniques for the Web.
Modalità di insegnamento
The course consists of lectures covering the topics from a conceptual point of view, which will be supplemented with practical exercises and discussions.
Learning assessment is based on:
- An essay assigned during the course (worth 30%).
- A final written test (worth 70%).
If the final written test is passed successfully, the final grade will be calculated from the two partial grades..
Slides, articles and videos will be made available on the iCorsi.ch platform at the beginning of the course.