The course examines main opportunities offered by new technologies for governments´ actions. The use of the Internet and other communication technologies in order to provide information and services to citizens, businesses, and other public organizations will be discussed, along with the implications for government efficiency, transparency, communication, service delivery and engagement with citizens. It will also tackle how international organizations and NGOs could leverage on ICTs.
Furthermore, the course addresses legal issues related to the collection and use of data by state agencies and access to governmental information by the media and the general public. It will present the rules governing personal data protection, right to information and open data.
The course is organized in formal (ex-cathedra) lessons complemented by case studies and testimonials.
The assessment will be divided into a collaborative group project (30%), an online and/or oral exam (60%) and a lesson recap (10%).
- Cantoni, L., Tardini, S. (2006). Internet. New York: Routledge (pp. 171-174).
- Baggi M., Cottier B. (2013). La nuova Legge sull’informazione e sulla trasparenza dello Stato, Rivista ticinese di diritto, p. 375ss
- Belser E., Epiney A., Waldmann B. (2011). Datenschutzrecht (Oeffentliches Recht), Bern
- De Ascaniis, S., Cantoni, L. (eds.), Handbook on Heritage, Sustainable Tourism and Digital Media, Elgar 2022, https://www.e-elgar.com/shop/gbp/handbook-on-heritage-sustainable-tourism-and-digital-media-9781788970075.html (specific pages will be indicated)
- Janowski, Tomasz (2015). From electronic governance to policydriven electronic governance – evolution of technology use in government. In L. Cantoni & J.A. Danowski (eds.) Communication and Technology, Berlin: De Gruyter Mouton.
- Kalbaska, N., Janowski, T., Estevez, E., Cantoni, L. (2017). When digital government matters for tourism: a stakeholder analysis. Information Technology & Tourism 17 (3): 315–333
- Kuner, C., Bygrave, L., Docksey, C., & Drechsler, L. (2020). The EU General Data Protection Regulation: A Commentary. Oxford University Press. Available at: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-eu-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr-9780198826491
- Métille S. (éd.) (2021). Le droit d'accès, Berne 2021
- Tardini, S., Cantoni, L. (2015) Hypermedia, internet and the web. L. Cantoni & J.A. Danowski (eds), Communication and Technology (Handbooks of Communication Science – Volume 5). De Gruyter Mouton, 119-140
- United Nations E-Government Survey (2020). Chapter 1. Global Trends in E-Government, Chapter 7. Capacities for Digital Government Transformation, and Chapter 8. Addendum - E-Government during the COVID-19 pandemic: Policy insights and the way forward
Master of Science in Economics, Elective course, Minor in Public Policy, 2nd year
Master of Science in Economics, Elective course, Minor in Data Science, 2nd year