Institute of Digital Technologies for Communication (ITDxC)
The Institute of Digital Technologies for Communication (ITDxC) studies the interactions between information technologies and human communication processes. Such interactions are bidirectional: on the one hand, information technologies allow us to design innovative tools, which dramatically change the landscape of human communication; on the other hand, theories of human communication may have a remarkable impact on how communication between software systems is conceived.
Currently, the main themes of interest at ITDxC are:
- eLearning: relationship between education, communication and digital technologies, with a special focus on instructional design, quality, and informal learning. This theme of research is mainly realized in the New Media in Education (NewMinE) laboratory.
- eTourism: the role of ICT in the tourist communication, with a special focus on on-line word of mouth, digital reputation, and eLearning in tourism. This theme of research is mainly realized in the webatelier.net laboratory.
- ITDxC: Information and Communication Technology for Development, the study of the impact of ICT in developing countries, with special attention to the sustainability dimension. This theme of research is mainly realized in the New Media in Education (NewMinE) laboratory.
- Use of Semantic Web Technologies and Normative Systems for regulating the access, the collection, the management, and the combination of data available on the Web (Web of Data and Linked Data).
- Application of the theory of communication and of the construction if institutional reality for modelling distributed software systems.
- Digital fashion stands for the use of digital technologies in the fashion domain. At ITDxC different facets of digital fashion are studied: from the evaluation of online communication strategies used by the fashion brands, to the understanding of the technological use in the marketing activities, to the assessment of requested competences and skills.
- Networked photography, online communication, digital (visual) culture, ethics for the digital age, and creative and visual research methods.
- Study of software tools and technologies for supporting the communication and the interaction among human beings: semantic web, web services, e-commerce, e-government, and so on.
Within the BSc in Communication Sciences, ITDxC promotes the study and use of digital technologies as essential from both an educational and a professional point of view.
ITDxC offers the following core courses in the BSc in Communication Sciences:
- Information and Communication Technologies
- Online communication
ITDxC offers the following courses in the three specialist areas of the BSc in Communication Sciences:
- ICT, business and digital economy
- ICT, media and society
- ICT, e‐government and development
ITDxC offers the following courses in the Minor in Digital Marketing or in Digital Communication of the Master of Science in Communication and Economics:
- Digital Corporate Communication
- Digital Marketing
- Online Communication Design
- Information Management and RetrievalUsability and Webanalitics
Moreover ITDxC offers a levelling Computer Science atelier for newly enrolled students in the BSc in Communication Sciences and elective courses.