Benedetto Lepori holds a PhD in Communication Sciences with a thesis on the Swiss research and higher education policy at the University of Lugano in 2004. At the Università della Svizzera italiana (USI),he is currently titular professor at the Faculty of Communication science and recotr delegate per research analysis. He issenior researcher at the University of Paris Est and invited researcher at the Department of Management of the University of Bath.
He is also head of the Research and Transfer Service of USI.
His research interests cover a broad range of topics in research and higher education studies. He is a recognized specialists in the analysis of research policies and, especially, public research funding. In this area, he coordinated the PRIME project on public project funding and he was co-coordinator of the European Contract on Joint and Open Programs (JOREP). He also worked extensively in the domain of higher education indicators and governance; he participated to PRIME-AQUAMETH and the European MIcroData study, while he is currently coordinator of the European Tertiary Education Register (ETER). and scientific coordinator of the H2020 project KNOWMAK, on developing a European Map of Science and Technology.
His research deals with on issues of higher education governance, university management and theory of S&T indicators. He published extensively on these topics on journals like Organization Studies, Research Policy, Science and Public Policy, Research Evaluation, Evaluation, Journal of Informetrics, Scientometrics, Higher Education and Studies in Higher Education.
- Governance and organizational structures of higher education institutions
- Institutional theory, particularly institutional logics approaches and hybrid organizations
- Development of data infrastructure for S&T studies
- Diversity and characterization of higher education systems
- Comparative analysis of national reasearch policies and funding systems
- Indicators to characterize research funding systems and higher education institutions