Docente titolare del corso
This course introduces students to the statistical analysis of empirical data to answer driving questions and test scientific hypotheses in social sciences. The course is designed to provide students with several fundamental skills, which will be helpful for their future course work, Master thesis and/or job tasks, considering that basic data management and analytical skills are increasingly requested in today’s labor market. The course alters front lectures with individual assignments and exercises.
By the end of the course, students will have learned how to:
- Identify (research) questions that can be answered with statistical data analysis;
- Assess the appropriateness of various data-analytical techniques in response to these questions;
- Report basic descriptive statistics, including graphical representations;
- Conduct basic statistical analyses, including univariate, bivariate, and multivariate statistics;
- Use basic Excel functions;
- Use basic SPSS functions;
- Read and present statistical results;
- Develop their own research question and select appropriate measures and analytical procedures.
Modalità di insegnamento
During face-to-face lessons, principal statistical concepts, definitions, and procedures will be introduced. These lessons require regular participation and an active involvement by the students. During the lessons, students will have to complete individual assignments and exercise about what has been covered in class. To be able to do so, they will be provided with a practical guide on how to use statistical software such as Excel and SPSS.
This course requires regular attendance (at least 80%), every lesson is meant to be propaedeutic for the subsequent one.
The final grade is composed of:
- Individual assignments carried out during the course (10%)
- Single oral paper presentation (10%)
- Written exam (80%)
All material presented in class will be available on iCorsi3.
- Master of Science in Communication in Communication, Management & Health, Lezione, 1° anno