International Strategic Management
Docente titolare del corso
Docente titolare del corso
The module as a whole presents some of the key thinkers in the field of organisational and management studies. Structures of organisations and style of management clearly have implications for communication and media experts and we will also examine organisational communication. Although new ideas emerged throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries we can still see evidence of the influence of some of the earliest ideas in practice today. The history of ideas is thus profoundly important in terms of everyday perceptions. In addition to presenting an historical review of ideas related to strategic management, the module also includes analytical frameworks to help students see the complexity of organisations and different ways companies have tackled key strategic decisions. The course is taught from an international perspective and we will look at key major media companies including Apple, Google as well as emerging players like Huawei and Tencent. The module examines key issues relating to strategic management including change management, leadership, war and military, crisis management.
Strategic management is a key concept for all companies and organisations. This course analyses concepts of management thinking and organisational behaviour using case studies. Key aims of the course include:
- Understanding of key concepts of resources and environment to strategic management
- Examining historical development of management thinking
- Looking at international case studies of strategic management including China and Asia, the USA and Europe
- Discussing key issues relating to strategic management including: change management, leadership, war and military, crisis management
Modalità di insegnamento
The course will be structured in lectures led by the three teachers. Sessions will be accompanied with power point presentations.
Students must attend class for at least 60%. Teachers will not provide alternative teaching materials beyond online teaching materials presented in class.
The final grade will be composed of the results achieved by students:
- Written 2500-word essay (70% of the final evaluation)
- In class presentation of one key issue related to course (10 minutes, 20% of the final evaluation)
- In-class participation (60% minimum) (10% of the final evaluation)
The main study material for this course are the “lecture notes” and “example papers” compiled by the teachers and published on the icorsi.ch platform.
Further readings are not mandatory but highly recommended:
The core textbooks for this module are:
Lynch, R. (2015) Strategic Management, 7th Edition. London. Pearson.
Morgan, G. (2017) Images of Organization, 30th Anniversary Edition. London, Sage.
Thussu, D. (2018) International Communication – Continuity and Change, Bloomsbury Academic
- Master of Science in Communication in Media Management, Lezione, 1° anno
- Master of Science in Digital Fashion Communication, Lezione, Suggested Elective, A scelta, 1° anno