Andrea Rocci is Full Professor and Director of the Institute of Argumentation, Linguistics and Semiotics at the Università della Svizzera italiana (Lugano). He is also Director of the Master programme in European Studies in Investor Relations and Financial Communication (ESIR) offered jointly with Università Cattolica (Milan).
He has published extensively in the fields of argumentation, pragmatics, semantics and discourse analysis. He is co-author (with Marcel Danesi) of a textbook on Global linguistics. He has directed / is directing several projects on argumentation in the contexts of journalism, corporate communication and financial communication funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF).
- Discourse structure and discourse relations from the viewpoint of Congruity Theory
- Modality in argumentation: the semantics, pragmatics and argumentative functions of lexical and morphological expressions of modality and evidentiality.
- Key-words in argumentation: the role of cultural key-words and key-phrases in the evocation of shared values and beliefs in argumentation.
- Intercultural pragmatics and intercultural argumentation
- Argumentation in business-financial journalism
- Discourse genres of financial disclosures
- Argumentation in newsroom interaction