Argumentation in Conflict Resolution
The course is divided into two parts. In the first part, we will introduce the method of frame analysis, used in conflict resolution/prevention, for example in environmental conflicts and intractable conflicts. Students will be taught how to recognize frame-activating words, how to use frames to map complex conflicts and reconstruct the parties’ implicit value premises; we will also touch upon how to reframe different positions to help frame convergence and conflict resolution. In the second part, we will zero in on the Alternative Dispute Resolution practice of dispute mediation as a communication-based approach to conflict resolution. Through the analysis of some examples of disputes, we will show the most important communication and argumentation competences necessary in conflict resolution in different contexts.
Argumentation in Conflict Resolution (3 ECTS) introduces argumentative dialogue as a communicative approach to handle disagreement and manage conflict. It proposes a discursive approach to interpret, analyze and reflect on how to resolve conflicts at different levels, from interpersonal and intergroup conflicts to broader societal controversies.
Sustainable development goals
- Sustainable cities and communities
- Peace and justice strong institutions
This course is organized as a laboratory, around discussion and analysis of empirical data. Through hands-on analyses and theoretical reflection, students will learn to analyze discourse and communication in conflicts and will be confronted with current developments of research and practice in this field; they will also meet a professional mediator.
It is equally possible to attend this course for students who have or have not attended Argumentation in Public Communication and have or do not have a background in argumentation.
A detailed syllabus including a week-by-week program will be made available by the end of August 2023 at the latest. The syllabus can be requested to the lecturer by email by potentially interested students.
The course is evaluated through participation in group presentations of scientific papers, in which each student acts both as a presenter and as a discussants of other groups, stimulating classroom discussion (15% of the final evaluation). The remaining part of the evaluation (85% of the final evaluation) is based on a final oral exam during the regular sessions. Each student will be requested to analyze a case of conflict and propose a mediation, using specific tools learnt during the course.
It is necessary to get at least 47/85 points in the oral exam to sum the evaluation of the presentation to obtain the final grade. Additional information about the evaluation will be given during the course.