Advanced Data Analysis in Tourism
The main purpose of the course is to introduce students to several quantitative methods for conducting meaningful research.
Participants will gain an overview of research intent and design, methodology and technique, format and presentation, data management and analysis informed by commonly used statistical methods.
On the one hand, the aim is to provide a "how to do it" course, but, on the other hand, we want to offer an understanding of how research findings are generated in order to assist students to become knowledgeable consumers of the research of others.
The course will develop each student’s ability to use this knowledge to become more effective as tourism expert.
These tasks include:
- Developing a hypothesis, a research problem and related questions
- Framing the problem with the correct research methodology
- Collecting data that accurately addresses the research problem
- Using data to make decisions
- Reading quantitative (and qualitative) data that measure the effectiveness of a program
- Presenting data to support programs to decision makers and other consumers.